Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tits and Tats

*Been thinking alot this past week on the "God Wink" issue, and I remembered more "winks" with my Dad. One big one stands out. In the fall of 1975 before he died, we were sitting and watching an Ohio State football game on a Saturday afternoon (the Bucks must have won as those were Archie Griffin/Woody Hayes days). I was a sophomore in high school and at that time was beginning to think of colleges I might like to attend. I told him that day that I would like to go to Ohio State. He said that he would do whatever it took to get me there. Fast forward to my Senior year of high school. My Mom found an article in our local paper about a scholarship called "The Ohio War Orphans Scholarship". My Mom called our State Senator, Paul Gilmore to find out more....turns out that I qualified because my Dad was deceased and had been in World War II. Low and behold, it was a full ride, room and board for 4 years to any state university in Ohio!!!!!!! Yes, he got me to make my dreams come true and be able to go to college. Because of him, I also still recieved Social Security during those years, too. Thank you Dad!!!!!


*This was a slow week on the medical front for me as far as appointments. No problem with no appointments! This time I seemed to have bounced back quicker from my last chemo session. My energy level has improved immensly....could be the Xango (mangosteen juice) that I love so much. It's great stuff! I continued to work on my left arm range of motion every day. I am so close to being able to reach the top of my bedroom door frame. I started measuring on December 20th and wow, I have come a long way. Makes me realize how bad off I was at Christmas time. I am continuing my LE pump and wrapping at night and wearing my sleeve during the day. I even did an aerobics video the other day. I am a little out of shape, but it wouldn't take me long to get back where I was. Also, longer walks with the dog are much easier these days. It's been one year since I have had any surgery.....reminds me of another God Wink involving my surgeon. He lives just a street away from me and I didn't even know it until a month ago!


*Recently reconnected with an old friend that I dated....it's been fun spending time with him again. He is very intuitive and feels my situation will turn out in a positive manner. Thanks Byron!!!! :)


*Love it! My son, Jon is home with me this weekend as he had his wisdom teeth out on Friday. He is doing GREAT! No swelling or bruising and was eating regular food Friday night. If anyone needs a wonderful oral surgeon, I have one to highly recommend.

Have a great week everyone!
Love,
Barb

4 comments:

Julie Donner Andersen. author said...

I didn't know that your stint at OSU was on a full ride scholarship! That's wonderful! Good for your mom for persuing it for you!

Glad to hear you had an "uneventful" week! But what the heck is that juice you mentioned?

Barbara McLaren said...

Yep, no loans to pay back after Ohio State. I was very lucky!
Never heard of Xango? The juice contains the mangosteen fruit. For me, it helps in healing and giving me energy. Look it up online. You can get it thru Xango distributers and there are some brands in the stores...Costco and Whole Foods carry it.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're doing good!
I've always loved the name Byron! :)

Anonymous said...

It is great that, in his dedicated service to the country you and your mom were able to get a break for your schooling.

That's the way it should be for the children of war heroes!