Friday, March 13, 2009

God Winks

Many of you know about the "God Wink" that happened early in my diagnosis involving my Dad, but I need to share this with all that haven't. I was very close to my Dad when I was young. I remember giving him hugs and just hanging out with him doing yard work. The summer of '75, the last summer before he passed away, he and I bought donuts and headed down to the Ohio State Fair in Columbus to see Bob Hope. We had a really good time, just the two of us. I was just beginning to be able to relate to him as an adult. Losing a Dad at 16 was really tough, and I miss him now like he just left. It's been 33 years.....

On Father's Day, 2007, I went to church with Sue, my Mother-in-Law. She was working in the library that morning. We were the only two there at the time, and I was was just looking at the stacks of books. I mentioned that it was Father's Day. She said that we didn't have much to celebrate as both of our Fathers were deceased. As she said that, I looked down at a book by an author with my Dad's name, "James Doss"! The only thing different was his middle initial. I didn't even know there was an author by that name! Wow, that was a powerful sign from my Dad that things were OK. I could handle this breast cancer thing!

The following week, one of the ministers from the church came to my house to chat about what I was going through with the breast cancer diagnosis. I related the story to her. A few days later, she called me to ask me if she could use the story in her sermon that next Sunday. Of course, I said "Yes". That next Sunday, I listened with tears in my eyes as she told the entire congregation what had happened to me that previous Sunday. But, best of all that Sunday, June 24th was my Dad's Birthday. It would have been his 87th.

So, pay attention to these God Winks in your life. I believe they are more than coincidences. Sue recently lent me the book, "When God Winks" by Squire Rushnell. If you have a chance to read it, please do. It will open up your awareness to what coincidences mean in your life.

Have a wonderful day,
Barb

P.S. A God Wink that happened to me in the Starbucks drive thru just 2 days ago. The lady in the car in front of me paid for my iced tea which was sooooo nice! While the guy at the window told me that she said to "have a great day", U2's song, "Beautiful Day" was playing on the radio....... Not just a coincidence....

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Barbara,

Thanks for sharing this...
I lost my father when I was 20,
so I can relate.

It's been twelve years this May
he has been gone,
not a day goes by
I dont think of him.

http://sallyscircle.blogspot.com/
Is a friends blog,
she lost her mother
to cancer.
You might enjoy her page...

I know I have
although its been so long
after dads death its still
good to realate with others
who have been through some of
the same struggles.

Kinda like the stupid cancer thing
ourself...I was diagnosed in 2000.
Internet was just getting kicked off good at my house much less
people with cancer....now its every
time I turn around.

You have a blessed day,
ashley :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely story, Barb. I remember your dad very well. Every Dec. 7th, I think of him because of Pearl Harbor and the survivors picnics we went to. I also remember the "fallout shelter" in your backyard...what fun! Your dad loved to tease, and he was bigger than life. Being that my own father was such a tyrant, I adored being in your dad's company. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

hey momma,

i forgot to tell you that I really enjoy your blog... I didn't realize you were such a great writer!! :)

ciao,
Ash

Anonymous said...

WOW. That is some powerful stuff, Barb!

I just put WHEN GOD WINKS on reserve at the library- may use it for my next book club book when it is my turn to host in august!

ALso, another strange coincidence, my brother Johnny called the other day and said he just watched a special on U2 and saw the most amazing version play of his favorite song, Beautiful Day, and he said he missed me and thought I would enjoy hearing it and to look it up online....so I went to YOUTUBE and found this, which reminded me of MY Dad when he took all us 5 kids to Ireland! We spent my brother's birthday in Dublin. Pop has been gone 9 years now.

Enjoy this, cut and paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVv0Nn12Jog

Barbara McLaren said...

Thx, I loved the video! Dublin here I come and so appropriate as St. Patty's Day was last week....
You'll enjoy the book...check out the website, www.whengodwinks.com.