Thursday, March 12, 2009

PET/CT 3/2/09....and new drugs on the scene

Hi Everyone!
Ok, as I promised, the results of my latest PET/CT scan. Well, I was right and I was wrong. I had a mixed response to my current therapy, Abraxane/Herceptin. I knew it was working because my skin was all clear and my neck nodes were barely noticeable. Unfortunately, my liver didn't respond in quite the same fashion. The doc gave me one more dose of A/H last Monday and in 3 weeks I will begin Doxil every 4 weeks for at least 3-4 months and then rescan. Please pray for me!!!!!!

Doxil is related to Adriamycin, the first chemo I had and did well on. I have read that Doxil works wonders on liver issues. It is the best thing to come out in a long time that works on the liver. Without getting too technical, there is another characteristic of my type of breast cancer that I might have. Doxil is supposed to be great if one has the TOPOLL-2 Gene. Every day it seems they are finding out new things about the HER2neu protein that I have. They are fast tracking the new "Super Herceptin" (T-DM1). This is supposed to be wonderful and will replace the Herceptin that I take now. Hopefully, I will be able to take advantage of it soon. Of course, I haven't even tried Tykerb which also targets the HER2neu. There are many other drugs in the pipeline for targeted therapy. These aren't considered chemotherapy, by the way. I also have a half of a dozen other "Chemos' to try. But, anyway, I really do feel confident about Doxil....I will have really great news in June!!!! :)

Love,
Barb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're definantly in our thoughts and prayers! We're pulling for you!