Saturday, February 28, 2009

My LE Arm

LE is short for lymphedema. The medical community abbreviates everything. Unfortunately, my LE treatment was anything BUT abbreviated. Usually, one goes for intensive treatment for two weeks. That includes wrapping of one's arm or leg 24/7 for those two weeks. I did that in October, BUT then did 2 months of wrapping 24/7 in December and January. December was a very difficult month with Christmas shopping, putting up the tree, etc. I was also in much pain during that time. I can seriously say that was my first close relationship with pain meds.....I didn't like it at all.

Wearing bandages 24/7 also presented a problem in public. People mean well, but are soooo curious. Two little children thought I had been in a terrible car accident, one man wondered what the other person looked like. I could go on and on. Thank goodness it's over....

Let me explain what LE is. There are 2 types, primary and secondary. I understand that some people can be born with it or just develop it (primary LE) Others, like me, can get it thru surgeries and radiation treatment. Lymphedema is swelling due to the non movement of the lymph through it's normal channels. I had 7 lymph nodes removed under my arm and then, radiation which damages things further. I've had about 65 treatments of radiation (RADS for short). In April and May of '08, I went twice daily for 5 weeks and then in October and November went once daily for 5 weeks with hyperthermia treatments coinciding with those weeks on Mon., Wed., and Fri. My skin suffered but I am 106 days out from my last radiation treatment and things are looking very good!!!

Since graduating from LE treatment, I was set free to manage my arm on a daily basis. But, before I left, I was fitted with an arm sleeve and a hand gauntlet to wear during my waking hours. At night I still wrap my arm up to look like a mummy. Every morning, I wake up early to use my very expensive Flexitouch pump. It's one hour of total immobilization. I usually fall asleep, read, catch up with past episodes of "ER" or "30 Rock" or watch a movie. Oh ya, and I also do stretching exercises with my arm 2x a day and deep breathing whenever I think of it.

Anyway, that's how I deal with LE. I will have to watch it forever. It may get better or worse. I'm hoping for better....I'd love to be able to not have to wear this sleeve during the day...especially with the HOT Arizona summer coming....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief Barb you've been through so much. You are such a trooper! *hugs*

Barbara McLaren said...

Chrissy,
Thanks for the HUGS! I needed it!
Love,
Barb